Unidentified Person of Interest
Reaction score
Pronouns
he/him

Characters:

None currently

Twilight-2000-7-768x487.png

What is this?

The Twilight War is my adaptation of the tabletop RPG Twilight 2000 4th Edition to fit a variation of Terminator's setting. Originally a piece of speculative fiction from 1984 written by former intelligence analysts, it has been retooled several times to work as an alternate history, with a point of divergence in the early 1990s allowing the survival of the Soviet Union, a full-scale ground war between NATO and the Warsaw Pact, culminating in a restricted nuclear exchange in 1998 that causes the collapse of most countries in the Northern Hemisphere. However, many NATO and Warsaw Pact units survive and continue fighting in the ashes- the player characters themselves start their journey in the aftermath of a last-ditch NATO offensive that is routed by Soviet forces and annihilated.

In turn, my writing here focuses specifically on a Temporal Conflict in the vein of Sarah Connor Chronicles, where repeated interference by time travelers to try and create a more favorable outcome for their present has led to this very violent and unstable 20th Century that is arguably worse than the original timelines of the films. SkyNET is developed and activated years earlier, and has proven itself several times in global conflict prior to World War III. The US military has automated large parts of itself and restructured NATO around the reach of a literal American war machine, with almost entirely autonomous guided missile and artillery bases in Germany and elsewhere, and carrier groups containing all sorts of unmanned strike aircraft. In turn, the Warsaw Pact has also benefitted from various forms of automation and the emergence of a Soviet-aligned bloc in Latin America, and invested heavily in military robotics and cybernetics to augment its offensive capabilities. Both sides of the War Against the Machines appear to be constantly manipulating historical events from the 2030s and beyond, and it becomes increasingly unclear who benefits, if anyone.

This board will essentially act as an extended lore bible, where I write in-universe fiction, adapt Twilight 2000's historical content, expand the lore, as well as develop unit types and stat blocks for new and unique units. I'm specifically thinking of the US military's proto-Terminators, which I would like to be similar but distinct to ones we've already seen in other media.

I definitely encourage all of your feedback and engagement with what's here, and I will likely run a few campaigns and modules in this setting by the time I move on. As a very homebrew-friendly system, I have plans to run modules in the original Twilight 2000 setting as well as other places important to the war- such as an Australian-Indonesian War that interferes with the formation of the Resistance, SkyNET trying to gain a foothold in West Africa in search of natural resources, and a variation of the original Twilight 2000's Second American Civil War, which directly sets the stage for SkyNET's emergence as an unambiguous enemy to human life. While none of this is strictly speaking from the era of the movies, it will all form the basis for a future campaign set in the Future War.​

Last edited:

Mongoose

Unidentified Person of Interest
Reaction score
Pronouns
he/him

Characters:

None currently
Hey everyone, first of all big kudos to Cindy for giving me my own subforum that I have literally never posted in, but I have been working on this. Real life caught up to me pretty suddenly after the closure of TRP 2, and in a few short years I went from living in my childhood bedroom to being married with a car, house, and full time job which is giving me lower back pain on the reg. I've been asked to consult for lore on another iteration of TRP, so this has become pretty relevant again and I'll continue to go my own way with this.

Goals for this year:
1) Run a one-shot using the Twilight 2000 4th edition system on Foundry VTT.
2) Continue to develop major chains of events in this timeline with in-universe media.
3) Develop image assets for NPCs, items, and general lore.
4) Plan and execute a Twilight 2000 campaign with non-Gmod Roleplayers.

Back